A Toxic Trio

Many substances found around your home and yard are known to be toxic to pets and.  I will be discussing three that produce gastrointestinal problems like vomiting, but also have severe consequences including death.

The first one is Xylitol which is a sweetener used in many products such as sugar-free gum and mints, nicotine gum, chewable vitamins, oral-care products, and some baked goods.  Xylitol is safe in people but not dogs, where severe life-threatening liver damage can occur, even with ingestion of small amounts.

Sago palm toxicity is another potential problem, given that these palms are used in landscaping throughout the region.  The plant and its parts are palatable to pets, and, even though the seed, or nut, from the female contains the greatest toxin concentration (cycasin), all parts of the plant are toxic.  Symptoms can be gastrointestinal and can lead to seizures, and even liver failure and death

The third one is Coco Mulch toxicity.  This is a by-product of the chocolate industry and is used in landscaping because of its attractive color, texture and odor.  Unfortunately, pets find it attractive as well, and ingestion produces Methylxanthine toxicosis.  Low dose signs include diarrhea, vomiting, abdominal pain.  Higher doses produce rapid heart rate, muscle tremors, seizures and even death.

Don’t take simple signs such as vomiting for granted, and if you suspect your pet ingested any potentially toxic substance, have him checked by your veterinarian.

 

For more information, give VIP Veterinary Services a call at (661) 222-7387

 

Did you like this? Share it:
This entry was posted in Healthy Pets and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*


*

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>